Are you aware of the risks associated with poor oral hygiene and a downturn in oral health when you skip out on dental visits? The truth is that visiting your dentist is extremely beneficial for your smile as they are able to detect damage and ailments with your teeth that otherwise may go untreated. If you are suffering from a fear of visiting your dentist known as dental anxiety, here are few treatment tips to help you:
– One of the best ways of treating dental anxiety is speaking directly with your dentist about your concerns. Often, the fear of the unknown is the cause of many forms of dental anxiety.
– Try to picture yourself in a place that brings you joy. This can include a relaxing beach or garden.
– Breathing techniques have been shown to be extremely beneficial for those with dental anxiety. Try counting your breath or breathing deeper and slower than normal.
– Speak with your dentist about the use of calming and relaxing music during your dental procedures.
– If you have concerns about any pain you may feel during a dental procedure, speak with your dentist about the use of an anesthetic or another sedative.
If you require further treatment for dental anxiety, Dr. Douglas F. Smith and our team at Douglas F. Smith, DDS will help you with your oral health care. If you would like to book an appointment with our dentist office in Logan, Utah, please call us at 435-752-4882.